Wednesday 15 June 2011

DAMNED DOGS


I don't particularly like dogs, even though I loved the smell of our labradors when I was a child. They were gun dogs and lived outside, where they belonged. After Rupert, my old black lab, was buried up in the wood, I couldn't bring myself to get another watch-dog (necessary in the country) until a semi-domesticated fox killed Clio, my favourite tabby. (See my "In Memory of a fox-hunting cat." ) So I acquired a brutish bullet of an Airedale terrier called Petra. As much as I loathe other dogs, I love "Petty". I'm a one-dog man, one at a time. But the other day she killed a wonderful and very fierce animal called a quique (Galictis cuja) found in central Chile, but not very common. Most dogs are terrified of this stoat-like creature which will fight to the death with its disproportionate fangs. I was annoyed not only because it is a wild animal which may face extinction sooner or later, but also because it keeps down the rabbit population which attacks my fruit trees. Unfortunately, I can't find a rights-free photo of the quique to illustrate this posting, so I'll upload one of Petra at work.
I have a happier tale to tell next about a stray dog I dragged squashed off the road: it survived miraculously thanks of my prayers to my holy patrons, Saints Kosmas and Damianos, Unmercenary Physicians of Men and Beasts. The crippled creature actually recognized me when I stopped in the village to try to cut a snare off another neglected dog. Just because one can't stand dogs - or people for that matter - doesn't mean one won't help them. Given a chance in life, dogs make better friends than most people - a truism any sensible person will agree with. More about animals and Chileans soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there old friend.

    I'm with you on dogs, tho I wouldn't dream of telling your dog. Our two cats were disturbed two years ago by the deaths of our dear neighbours, Gaston and Loulou and the arrival with us of their cat Mimi. Mimi did not disclose she was pregnant so we now have five cats, including the beautiful Kashmir, a lean and gorgeous Bengal (all mongrel cats are thoroughbreds outside the skin) and the aimiable Bertie a white Angora with a black tail. All is well here and I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Chris. I am such a prat with the web and not only that. Didn't see your comment about your cats until now - two years later. Am now nursing a stray Burmese after neutering. She has four naughty kittens and all are going to live with a friend because they are terrorising my poor old retired tabby, Cadbury. Don't bother to reply for a few years. I don't deserve it.

      Delete